Gonzalo Campillo-Alvarado, Ph.D.
Department of Chemistry, Reed College, Portland, OR, USA (2022- )
Illinois Distinguished Postdoctoral Research Associate
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL, USA (2020-2022)
Ph.D. Chemistry, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA (2020)
M.Sc. Chemistry, Universidad Autónoma del Estado de Morelos, Cuernavaca, Morelos, México (2015)
B.Sc. Biopharmaceutical Chemistry, Universidad Veracruzana, Xalapa, Veracruz, México (2012)
Gonzalo integrates knowledge of supramolecular-, reversible- and mechanochemistry, with emphasis on boron, to engineer crystalline materials with functional properties (e.g., conductivity, motion, porosity, photoactivity). His research has direct application in electronics, petrochemistry, pharmaceutics, separation science, and solid-state reactivity.
Boron, chemical separations, chemical confinement, host-guest chemistry, flexible materials, crystal engineering, pharmaceutical cocrystals, molecular regonition, supramolecular chemistry, self-assembly, solid-state reactivity.
Selected Honors and Awards
- Co-Chair, Virtual Midwest Organic Solid State Chemistry Symposium (2021)
- DRIVE Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign (2020)
- A. Lynn Anderson Award for Research Excellence, University of Iowa, Department of Chemistry (2020)
- Inclusive Excellence Achievement, University of Iowa, The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (2020)
- Paul R. Sharp Award for Outstanding Oral Presentation in Inorganic Chemistry (2019)
- Co-Chair, 1st American-Mexican Symposium on Supramolecular Materials Design, University of Iowa – Funded by an ACS Global Innovation Grant and ACS Iowa local section (2019)
- CLAS Dissertation Writing Fellowship, University of Iowa, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (2018)
- International Union of Crystallography (IUCr) Young Scientist Award (2018)
- Post-Comprehensive Research Award, University of Iowa, Graduate College (2017)
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, University of Iowa, Council of Teaching (2017)
- NSF I-Corps micro grant (2017)
- PhD Fellowship, the National Council of Science and Technology (CONACyT, Mexico)
- MSc Fellowship, the National Council of Science and Technology (CONACyT, Mexico)
- PROMUV International Research Fellowship (National University of Ireland, Galway), Universidad Veracruzana